The Benefits of Metal Roofing
Metal roofing is fast becoming one of the most popular segments of home improvement, and for good reason. By allowing homeowners to upgrade their homes with a product known to last, metal roofing has proven its worth.
The many advantages of a metal roof include:
- Metal roofs are fire resistant
- Metal roofs are energy efficient, and reflect heat, both of which help to keep homes cooler and save you money
- Metal roofs are lightweight, helping to preserve the integrity of your structure
- Metal roofs have an astounding life expectancy (50+ years) and often come with a warranty of up to 40 years
- Metal roofs are low maintenance
- Metal roofs can be installed over your existing shingle roof
- Metal roofs add tremendous value to your home
- The metal roofs we offer at ADCO Metals come in 23 colors, all of which are aesthetically pleasing
- Because of their performance and durability, metal roofs can reduce homeowners insurance by up to 35%
At ADCO Metals, we offer a full range of metal roofing and roofing supplies to Destrehan, LA, including:
- Pipe boots
- Skylights / Light kits
- Vents / Exhaust fans
- Butyl tape
- And more
Contact us today to learn more about installing a metal roof on your home.
What to consider when investing in a new roof
Installing a new roof or replacing an existing one is a significant investment that you shouldn’t enter lightly. When considering the best roof for your home, three factors typically come into play:
- Protection against all elements
How, exactly, do metal roofs perform under the pressure?
The durability of metal roofs
One of the initial reasons metal roofing took off so fast is because of its unparalleled durability. If you maintain (and install) your roof properly, it can last a lifetime. Compare that to other roof options:
- Asphalt requires re-roofing every 10 to 20 years, if not sooner
- The lifespan of most non-metal roofs is 17 years
With warranties of up to 40 years, installing a metal roof can give you the long-term peace of mind you deserve.
The costs of your roof
When comparing the costs of roof options, many people turn away from metal roofs. That’s because metal roofs can cost up to 1/3 more than a shingle roof. But when considering costs, don’t just look at the initial expense. Ask yourself this: what will my new roof cost me, over its entire lifespan?
By not having to replace or repair your metal roof throughout its lifespan, most homeowners discover that the initial cost of a metal roof isn’t as bad as they first thought.
Another aspect of cost is the cost to the environment. Of all of your roofing options, metal is one of the most environmentally friendly materials. The materials used are recyclable; metal roofing reflects heat, thus saving on energy consumption; and finally, the longevity of its performance means less waste.
How well do metal roofs protect you against the elements?
Not only do metal roofs hold up to the elements, but their lightweight nature puts less stress on your home, thus maintaining the integrity of the home’s structure.
How much protection, exactly, do metal roofs offer you?
- They can withstand gale-force winds
- Metal is naturally fireproof
- Metal panels don’t crack, warp, curl or split (all of which shingles are known for)
- Metal doesn’t corrode or deteriorate, meaning they offer the same level of protection, whether the roof is 2 years old or 30.
But what about the disadvantages of metal roofs?
Simple web searches can provide you a wealth of information suggesting certain disadvantages to metal roofing. However, most of these disadvantages are nothing more than myths, each of which can be dispelled.
Do metal roofs attract lighting?
This is one of the most popular myths to date. No, metal roofs do not attract lightning strikes to your home. In fact, if your home were hit by lightning (which can happen to any home, with any roof), the metal would safely disperse the energy throughout your home’s structure. And, as a fire-resistant material, a metal roof is, in fact, a preferred choice for severe storms.
Won’t a metal roof rust over time?
It seems like a logical question, of course. Metal rusts, so why wouldn’t your metal roof rust? Except, metal roofs won’t rust. Here’s why. Your metal roofing is coated with either zinc or a zinc/aluminum combination that prevents rust from forming. Paint is then added – atop the coating – to ensure that your desired color will last for decades.
Metal roofs are noisy, right?
Perhaps in the early days of metal roofing, this was true. But when installed properly – with solid sheathing – a metal roof will work as a silencer, preventing noise from rain, hail and other elements.
Is it time you looked into a metal roof for your home?
Interested in learning more about the benefits of metal roofing? Contact us today for more information about metal roofing and to determine if it’s the best solution for your home. We provide metal roofing installations for homes of all sizes throughout Destrehan, LA.